The History of the Anna Jaques Hospital 

The original hospital was housed in the former Bagley Estate, a large Federalist mansion at the corner of Broad & Munroe Streets.      Regrettably, the former home has been demolished. 

The hospital admitted its first patient, a mill worker named Mary Roddy, on May 7, 1884. 

Anna Jaques was on hand to witness the hospital’s opening.    She died of pneumonia less than one year later on January 24th, 1885 at her home on Parker Street in Newbury. 

A new Georgian Revival-style hospital was constructed on Highland Avenue in 1904 and still stands today as the original core of the medical complex. 


“Who was Anna Jaques?” by Lynne Hendricks, Newburyport Magazine, Spring 2010 Issue